To discuss these issues, TPI has assembled a group of experts for a lunch panel on the topic, “Privacy: The Way Forward.” The panel will address questions related to the federal government’s role, including:
- Do the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) and perhaps other state legislation mean that federal legislation is needed?
- If so, what should it contain? Should it preempt the states?
- Has the current FTC ex post enforcement approach based on actual harms been successful? Should the U.S. move to an ex ante regulatory approach similar to the GDPR and CCPA?
- What should the respective roles of the Administration, Congress, and the FTC be?
Panel participants include:
- Julie Brill, Corporate Vice President and Deputy General Counsel for Global Privacy and Regulatory Affairs, Microsoft; former Commissioner, Federal Trade Commission
- Maureen Ohlhausen, former Commissioner and Acting Chairwoman, Federal Trade Commission
- Alan Raul, Founder and Leader, Sidley Austin Privacy and Data Security, and Information Law practice
- Others TBA
The Technology Policy Institute
The Technology Policy Institute is a non-profit research and educational organization that focuses on the economics of innovation, technological change, and related regulation in the United States and around the world. More information is available at www.techpolicyinstitute.org/.